Sunday, April 5, 2015

St. Patrick's Day Shenanigans

I know it's Easter and everything, but I figure it's not too late to post about St. Patrick's Day, right?

We spent the week learning about Ireland and Leprechauns. We learned that Leprechauns are sneaky little creatures to like to play tricks on people. My students were paranoid all week that a Leprechaun was going to come into our classroom...so on Thursday night, I stayed a little late and had some fun!


I started by putting everyone on red. No one EVER gets on red this year, so I knew it would be a big deal!

 I turned all their chairs upside down and threw crayons all over the tables.

 Made some leprechaun footprints all over their tables and sprinkled some glitter all around. (It's important to note I have a good rapport with the custodial staff. I normally keep my room spic and span, so I can get away with throwing glitter all over the room every ONCE in awhile!)

 I moved our sticker charts all around.

I hung our beloved Pete the Cat upside down on the word wall. This is what outraged my kiddos the most! ("How DARE that leprechaun touch Pete the Cat! Who does he think he is?!)

Lastly, I left them a little note from the "leprechaun" on the board. I made sure to use my left hand, so they wouldn't recognize my handwriting!

It was so funny watching their faces as they came into the room the next day. They were so offended that a leprechaun would come into our classroom and mess with our things. They couldn't believe that he'd left a room-full of mess for THEM to clean up! It's all they could talk about all day! I even had them write about it during Writer's Workshop: What happened when the leprechaun came into our classroom, and how did you feel about it? The responses were fabulous!

If you have any suggestions for something I can add to the leprechaun's shenanigans for next year, leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment